They Want To Play
Another Monday morning, another start to the work week navigating an onslaught of negativity and pessimism surrounding college football and the 2020 season. Social media was set ablaze on Sunday, with rumors swirling that the Big Ten will be canceling fall sports, including football, this week. Other Power 5 conferences are expected to follow suit, according to “sources.”
Pat Forde, Yahoo! Sports’ self-righteous college football thought leader, asked a simple question on Saturday afternoon - how did we get here?
While an answer to this question is most likely rhetorical - I responded with my honest thoughts.
For the past two weeks, conferences have been releasing their schedules, signaling that after intense discussions with their top decision makers, they have found a path forward for the 2020 season. Opening dates have been pushed back, more flexibility has been added, and cross-county travel has been removed.
So why, after all of these grueling meetings, would the complete opposite decision be pondered?
Why, after clearly gathering from their medical experts that the 2020 season could be played, would they do an about-face in one week?
Why, after having student-athletes and coaches on campus preparing for the season for 10 weeks, would you shut it down right before go time?
I have a hard time thinking the SEC would announce their schedule late last week if their medical advisors told them otherwise.
This debate, discussion, argument, or however you want to classify it - is difficult and nuanced, as Fox Sports’ Joel Klatt states. His 10 minute YouTube video (linked) is worth your time and very well said. I urge you to watch.
In short, the moving of the goal posts and shifting of narratives about the dangers of college football being played has reached its last straws.
Reportedly, the BIGGEST challenge of playing the 2020 season is the “UNKNOWN long-term affects of contracting coronavirus.”
Well, ok then.
What is known, however, is that the OVERWHELMING majority of student-athletes want to play.
In a final push-back to the legions of sports media and college administrators who are looking to cancel 2020, Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence rallied football players everywhere on Twitter with the hashtag #WeWantToPlay and a thread of points that show why no football would be a bad decision.
UGASports.com’s Radi Nabulsi put it bluntly, but correctly, regarding the risks of the season being played, or not played.
What will the outcome be? I truly believe football will be played. Decision makers need to make decisions. Leaders need to lead. Coaches need to coach, and players need to play.
#WeWantToPlay